If, like us, you kept a close eye on the content coming out of European Summer 2022, you would have seen the emergence of an indulgent pasta garnish. Past reserved for the white cloth tables of fine dining venues, caviar crowned twists of pasta were spotted throughout the continent. Dotting plates from Parisian cafes to coastal Mediterranean trattorias.
Australian Summer 2022/2023 is in session and Sean Connolly is celebrating by sharing the simplistic luxury of his Caviar and Egg Yolk Linguine. Famously injecting European cuisine into Australia’s dining scene.
Served exclusively for attendees of a recent Champagne and Caviar tasting, hosted at Bells at Killcare, The Wildflower Bar & Dining. By the top tier hospitality talent trio of Tyson Stelzer pouring the Pol Roger Champagne, Chef Sean Connolly curating the menu and Gourmet Life’s founder, specialist of fine food, Josh Rea adorning the caviar.
Lean into luxury with this simple Caviar and Egg Yolk Linguine recipe by Chef Sean Connolly.
CAVIAR AND EGG YOLK LINGUINE
- 250g fresh egg pasta linguine (fresh and dried varieties available at Gourmet Life)
- 4 free range egg yolks, lightly whisked
- 40g caviar sourced from Gourmet Life
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt flakes
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to the boil. Cook the pasta according to packaging instructions minus 1 minute. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a separate high-sided pan over very low heat, add the lightly whisked egg yolks and continue to whisk with a pinch of salt and half of the pepper until combined and thickened.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan along with ⅓ cup of the reserved pasta water. Remove from the heat and toss to combine, emulsifying the sauce. Add more cooking water to loosen the sauce if required.
- To serve, twist ¼ of the linguine around a fork and place in the middle of a bowl. Top with excess sauce and ‘garnish’ with ¼ of the caviar (10g). Repeat four times, sprinkle with pepper and serve immediately.